There are millions of people suffering from chronic headaches, and of them, Migraine is the prominent name.In Ayurveda, a wide classification of headache under Shirogat Rogas is given. Many Shirogatrogas like suryavarta andanantavaat have resemblance to Migraine, but still its unfair to compare these with migraine because symptom may vary based on body types and habits.
Most diseases are because of our wrong lifestyle. Migraine is one of the disease that is the outcome of an unhealthy lifestyle and unwholesome food habits.
Migraine is caused by excessive stimulation of Brain and blood vessels. Patient comes to clinic with complaint of throbbing one side headache, with nausea (tendency of vomiting), vomiting, sensitivity to light. Some people get warning symptoms, like aura having visual disturbance ahead of attack of migraine.
Causes of Shirorogas
- Suppression of Natural Urges
- Unwholesome food
- Indigestion and constipation
- Oily spicy food
- Supressed emotions, anger, jealousy, stress, anxiety.
- Other triggering factors include
Like smoking and alcohol, Sudden stopping of caffeine intake, fermented food and stale food intake, Disturbed sleep pattern (excessive or less sleep), Excessive stimulation of sense organs by loud noise, bright lights, strong odour, excessive travelling, fasting, changes in hormonal level in woman during menstrual cycle.
Suitable lifestyle changes,Ayurvedic Medicines and therapies holds the key in treating Migraine.
Medicines & Drugs to Treat Shirogat Rogas
- Pathyadi Kadha
- Shirashooladivajra rasa
- Mahalkshmi Vilas rasa
- Combination of praval and godantibhasm
- Lepa of fruit of long pepper, fennel, dried ginger in water to be applied on head
- Nasya (nasal drops) of 2-4 drops of ghee
Various Panchakarma procedures (Vamana, Virechana, Basti, Nasya, raktamokhshana) are also used by vaidyas to treat the patient of migraine depending upon the cause and body type.
(Note- Treatment and combination wary from patient to patient should be taken under guidance of Experienced ayurvedic physician)
Tips to Avoid Shirogat Rogas
- Avoid suppression of natural urges.
- Have light meal at night.Proper time of night meal is two to three hours before going to bed.After night food its better to go for a short walk of say hundred steps.
- Don’t skip meals.Avoid Fasting.
- Sleeping late at night should be avoided.Mind should be free from wordly affairs and worries while going to bed.
- Sleep during the day should be avoided as far as possible.
- Should exercise regularly.
- Quit smoking and alcohol addiction
- Intake of coffee and tea should not be stopped abruptly,it should be gradually withdrawn.
- Try to avoid loud music.
- Avoid and restrict use of green chillies and curd.
- Use umbrella during summers.
- Don’t take too hot or too cold water bath.
- Proper ventilation of your place Avoid air conditioner for long time.
- Body massage once in 15 days with medicated oil is beneficial.
- Improve your posture while sitting and working over Computer.
- Make a list of food and things that trigger migraine.Try to avoid them